Tuesday, 27 November 2012

In the beginning...

My very first post on my very own blog.

Well, here it goes...ahhhh....hmmmm....

Tough enough when you have a blank page in front of you. It's really more for personal reasons I want to keep this blog than anything else. I'm a scientist so I'm sure my blog will be brief and to the point. I'm not a good writer, in fact I'd go so far as to say I might as well be staring into a field of thistles than trying to wax lyrical in an imaginative, witty, humorous way. The reason I'm starting this is to have one single place where I can put a few lines to pictures I've taken or to write up a race report here and there. It won't all be running, far from it. So far I've three events booked for 2013 with two of those a 100 km cycle and a 100 km adventure race. I like the highs and lows of longer distance events and the range of emotions you can feel in the space of a few hours of doing something that physically demanding. It's a little addictive and if you asked my girlfriend/close friends/family, I'm apparently "obsessed" with running. I don't think so but that's for a different post.

I won't really be using this as a training log, I don't really have the discipline to update it that regularly. Besides, my training is pretty boring anyway, with the majority of it coming from running to work a few days a week mixed in with a track session with GCH on a Tuesday night and then a long run/cycle/hike thrown in here and there. I might update Track sessions here and there so I can look back and see improvements (well improvement is the plan anyway).

My first few posts will be a little background about me, a few past race reports if I can remember them and plans for the coming few weeks.

A lot of my training is not necessarily to get faster but to be able to comfortably enjoy long distance endurance events without doing my body too much damage. I'm relatively new to endurance events so in the past 18 months improvement has come pretty easily so I don't concentrate too much on race specific training. The more training I get done, the more I improve, simple! I feel that will happen to a point where I will eventually have to do more "quality" sessions to improve but for now just taking it relatively easy (I know a few people are going to laugh at that) listening carefully to my legs and body. Improvement comes with patience so Softly Softly Catchee Monkey...

2 comments:

  1. Daecint Jahnny! Can't wait for the Argus and the WCAD races next year!....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Counting down the days Padhraic! I can foresee my biking abilities are going to be lacking but it makes the beer at the end all the sweeter!

    ReplyDelete